[Zope] how to pass <dtml-var sequence-item> to an external method from D TML?

Manchester, John JManchester@arqule.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 16:28:22 -0400

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to surface self description methods on some code into a quick UI
in Zope.  Short of conforming to the Zope product spec, external methods
seem like the way to go since I'm making remote method calls on the back-end
(Python Script objects won't cut it).  I have 2 methods:  one that returns a
list of the attributes available on my remote object; and one that takes the
name of an attribute and returns some descriptive text about that attribute.
For a simple test, I'm sucking all available attributes out of my remote
object, then looping through them to get a description for each one:

<dtml-in getPropNames>
  <dtml-var sequence-item> <dtml-var getPropDescription("<dtml-var
sequence-item>")>
</dtml-in>

Which throws the message:
    Invalid attribute name, """, for tag <dtml-var
getPropDescription("<dtml-var sequence-item>")>

I've tried some variations on the syntax, including using <dtml-let>, with
absolutely no success, and seem to be missing the boat.

Am I overlooking some detail of the syntax, or just conceptualizing the
design wrong?  Please help.  Feel free to use the words "Ha!" and "fool".

Thanks in advance,
John

John Manchester			Computational Design & Informatics
Senior Scientist			ArQule, Inc.
tel: 781-994-0317			19 Presidential Way
fax: 781-994-0679			Woburn, MA 01801
jmanchester@arqule.com		www.arqule.com