[Zope] Interfacing to Zope

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:55:37 +0400 (MSD)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Robert Frank wrote:
> I've rechecked the protocol and am quit sure that I've gotting it right.
> While checking, I noticed that PCGI (the wrapper, actually) will start a
> python process called pcgi_publisher.py.
> Is this necessary?

   It will be started only if connect was unsuccessful. In this case Zope
will be started from Apache in single-threaded PCGI-only mode.

> As I understood the documentation, when using the ZServer for listening on
> a (TCP) port, this is all it needs.

   No, Zope must be compiled by python w_pcgi.py (with PCGI).

> Does ZServer on unix work with TCP sockets or only with domain sockets?

   ZServer is a multi-protocol server. It works with plugins, and different
plugins do it in different ways.

> If I start Zope with' python z2.py -X -F 1234 -D', then it will listen on
> the port 1234, but it will never spew anything out ...

   If you compiled Zope with PCGI, you also will have UNIX domain socket in
var directory. This socket is used for PCGI protocol.

> I just find it hard to believe that there is no documentaion on this subject ...

   We are programmers. We have no time/incentives to write docs! :)

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann     http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/     phd@phd.pp.ru