[Zope] Server Side Questions

mixo mixo@beth.uniforum.org.za
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:32:14 +0200

"J. Cameron Cooper" wrote:

> >Is it possible to execute a cgi script (possibly not python) within a
> >dtml document?
> >
> There is at least one product that lets you include the data of any
> other web page in a Zope page. Can't remember the name, but it's been
> mentioned several times on this list. You could use this to suck data
> from a cgi URL. Don't know if this is what you're looking for -- I don't
> imagine that it handles the environment in a very complex way.
>
> >Are server side includes possible? And can a web
> >server (say apache) be configured to procces Zope objects as if
> >they are some other type of document that can  or should be proccess
> >by the server before being sent to a browser?
> >
> Although I can't imagine why you would need to do this (Zope is much
> better than SSI) I suppose it might be possible. Zope leaves SSI
> directives in the page, so if you can convince Apache to process pages
> coming through a ProxyPass or RewriteRule or something then you've got
> it. Don't know enough about Apache to say how, or if something exists
> now to do this (I would think so), but you could always write an Apache
> mod that interferes in the publishing process if nothing exists to help
> you. (I'm thinking mod_python. Hehe.)
>
>         --jcc
>     (extensible)

I already have cgi scripts (shell scripts) that perform certain functions
which are sitting on some remote machine (which is not running Zope). I
want to be able to use them, and avoid rewriting them in Python (at least
for now). What I am looking for is something  like
          <!--#exec cgi="somescript-->
which executes a cgi script.

Mixo