[Zope] solaris and zope

Alex Kelly KellyA@gw.franklin.edu
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:49:01 -0400

Sorry I don't have any insight...But I can tell you that you are not =
alone.  We have a similar box (E-250, Dual Processor w/ 2GB of RAM running =
Solaris 8).  My other machine I tested was a Dual PIII-800 w/ 256MB of Ram =
with Redhat 7.1. =20

The RedHat box is signifcantly faster.  Originally we were using FastCGI =
to communicate between Apache and Zope on the Solaris box.  We are now =
using just Zserver which did make an improvement, but is no where near as =
fast as the Linux box.  I would also be interested if anyone has any input =
on this subject.

Thanks,

Alex Kelly

>>> Jason Witt <jdwitt@umn.edu> 08/14/01 01:51AM >>>
hi,

I looking for anyone who has worked with zope on solaris 8.  The problem I
am having is that it runs super slow.  I have compiled everything from
source using cc to get the 64bit optimizations.  Right now I have been
benchmarking against just ZServer with no Apache between.  No matter what
I do I cannot seem to get the install up the speed it should be on Sun
a E-250 with dual processors and 2 GB of ram.  What's worse is that the
same site that runs so slow on solaris flys on a Linux (redhat
7.1) box.  The hardware is comparable (dual 700 mhz, 2 GB ram), but the
benchmarks are about 2 times faster everytime.  Any ideas why Linux is so
much better than solaris??

thanks,

* Jason Witt             Java and Web Services - ADCS  *
* Web Developer          University of Minnesota, Mpls *
* Systems Administrator  190 Shepherd Laboratories     *                   =
    =20
* jdwitt@umn.edu         Ph. 612-626-8663              *             =20