[Zope] data.fs and zeo

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:37:54 -0700

This is not quite true; there is a bug in FileStorage in Zope 2.3.x that is
fixed in CVS and Zope 2.4 regarding this that hangs the ZSS...

Also, FYI, anyone using ZEO 1.0b3 should really pull down zrpc.py from CVS
as well to make ZEO Clients reconnect; a bug was introduced in 1.0b3 that
prevented reconnects by the client; it was promptly fixed in CVS on May
29...

After these two changes are made, ZEO seems to work nicely without incident
in a production setting, at least for me...

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Vagelpohl [mailto:jens@zope.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 5:12 AM
To: fritz.mesedilla@summitmedia.com.ph
Cc: Zope
Subject: Re: [Zope] data.fs and zeo

fritz,

packing works very well from any of the connected ZEO clients. what
probably throws you off is that when you hit "pack" the page comes back
immediately and there is no visible change.

packing is being initiated and you will see results after a while (the
while being longer the larger your Data.fs is) by looking at the contents
of the directory where your Data.fs is. you'll see a new file,
Data.fs.pack, that is being built and when it is finished the old Data.fs
gets renamed to Data.fs.old while Data.fs.pack becomes Data.fs.

this process can take quite some time and the management interface in your
ZEO client will only show the new database size after Data.fs.pack has
been put in place of Data.fs.

if you have problems with the 2GB file size limit i suggest (if you're on
linux) that you go with a kernel that can handle large files (i have a
test rig that uses a 2.2.17 kernel) and hand-compile python to enable
large file support.

jens