[Zope] Zope vs. the Big Boys

Bruce Tong zztong@pugsly.ev.net
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Honestly, how does Zope compare to some of the big names such as BEA and
> WebSphere? My company is looking at spending a lot of money in the
> Application Server realm, and I wondered how Zope stacks up against them.
> We're two shakes of a pen away from purchasing something, and I'd like to at
> least come back with an open-source solution just so that we can compare
> something.

For the price of Zope, you can probably afford to have somebody take a
week read the docs and kick the tires.

Even if you don't conclude Zope is the right tool to carry the bulk of
your load, you may find Zope to be an excellent fit for part of the
project... another tool for your bag of tricks. Maybe Zope can front an
executive interface subsystem (aka "dashboard"), or something. Maybe Zope
helps your development team collaborate via some off-the-shelf Zope
package.

--

Bruce Tong                 |  Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Sr. Software Engineer      |  Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.