[Zope] to convert images on the fly with zope

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:43:53 -0400

> From: "Martijn Pieters" <mj@zope.com>
>
> I feel that the term 'Hotfix' isn't really the appropriate label to use for
> your product; 'Monkey patch' is more approrpiate maybe, as it is not a
> hotfix. It is not a fix for a serious problem in Zope that cannot wait for
> the next release, the normal intent of a hotfix, for example. The term
> 'hotfix' now has contextual meaning, that of a urgent fix for a serious,
> usualy security related prioblem in Zope.

Well, blame Caseman! :)

http://www.zope.org/Members/Caseman/Dynamic_Hotfix

It's a brilliant way to extend and modify zope without getting screwed with
the next release -- I wish I knew about it before.

What should we call 'products' which change the behavior of core zope
components?  Since normally 'products' add functionality, they don't usually
change the core behavior.

I suggest that, with the increasing popularity of these hotfix-based
products, having the name 'Monkey patch' occurring regularly throughout the
site might cause corporate types some hesitation when considering the
adoption of zope :)