[Zope] Ruling from the bench regarding 'Hotfixes' :)

Ron Bickers rbickers-dated-999287050.89fa38@logicetc.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:44:10 -0400

> I'd say, it's a core enhancement.  I'd say, the determination
> would be if it
> somehow replaces or overrides normal core behavior, without having to
> explicitly 'add' the product.   Make sense?

Hmm.  I would've called it added functionality since it may not replace the
standard User Folder.

> > I think it would be perfectly appropriate to call the Image
> hotfix an Image
> > Object Enhancement Product, or something similar.
> > _______________________
>
> Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, does it?  How about ImageTag HotPatch?

No, not really.  But anything "Hot" still gives me the feeling of urgency.

> Monkey patches also are nice in that you can try them before you buy - no
> special extra coding is needed.  So to get a list of what options are
> available - to try with little expense - would be nice.  Especially if you
> have a preexisting site, where it could be expensive to re-code stuff.

So then, is it fair that the distinction is if the product doesn't provide
any new objects to add, it's a [insert new term], otherwise it's a Product?

> hey, if you guys want to make MonkeyPatch official, I'll go with it :)

As other's have stated, applying a "MonkeyPatch" to your critical corporate
Web site sounds connotatively bad, esp. when you have to tell your manager.

Brainstorming...

CorePatch
CoreExtension
ZopeExtension