[Zope] Advice needed: load balancing wih ZEO and Apache on Solaris.

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 17:13:45 +0100

Hi,
I've followed the instructions at
<http://www.zope.org/Members/dshaw/AdvancedSiteSetup> to set up a ZEO server
and client (on the same machine). These instructions are very clear and I'd
recommend them to people wanting to experiment with ZEO.

We serve our content up through Apache (fast delivery of static content, CGI
scripts and PHP4 served too).

I'm using the VHM method of routing Apache requests through to my ZServer
installation so (only a snippet shown, and this is an example);

        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin   - [L]
        RewriteRule ^/static    - [L]
        RewriteRule ^/ltsn_images - [L]
        RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://localhost:18080/VirtualHostBase/http/myserver.ncl.ac.uk:80/VirtualHos
tRoot/$1 [P]

Following the instructions from Dave Shaws' page I have a ZEO server running
on port 8080 and a client running on port 8081

One idea I've had from reading the Apache Rewrite rules page at
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html>
Is to use ProxyPassReverse (in some way), i.e.

ProxyPassReverse  /  http://localhost:8080/
ProxyPassReverse  /  http://localhost:8081/

My question is this;

What can I do to get requests from myserver.ncl.ac.uk farmed out to my ZEO
server-client farm?

Any pointers would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140