[Zope] zope as NT Service

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:49:54 -0400

[Montagne, Michael]

> I'm having no luck getting zope to run as a service.  I can install Zope
2.4
> no problem.  When it asks me if I want to run it as a service, I answer
"Yes
> I do".   Then everything appears fine.  But http://localhost:8080/manage
> does not find any servers and upon stopping and restarting the service I
get
> an error that says "Error 0193: %1 is not a valid Windows NT application".
> I had this problem with 2.3 also and now that I want my program on a real
> server, it should run as a service.

On the other hand, I ran Zope 2.1.6 as a service on NT4 SP6 with no trouble,
and I'm now running Zope 2.3.3 as a service on Win2000 Workstation with no
trouble either.  That doesn't help you directly, but I don't see it simply
as a Zope problem.  There must be something else going on.

The reference to "%1" sounds like this might be the problem:

The path to Zope is messed up in the registry.  You can check this.  Run
regedit, and look for the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Zope2\Parameters

The "start" value needs to point correctly.  On my machine it is:

"D:\PROGRA~1\Zope2\bin\python.exe" "D:\PROGRA~1\Zope2\z2.py" -S

Make sure it points to Zope's copy of python.exe and not any other
installation.

I'm amazed that Win2000 is using the old 8.3 shorthand names, but I'm sure
it would work fine with full long path names.  Perhaps the install program
is playing it safe by using the 8.3 names.  Note the quotes.  I assume they
are used in case the path contains spaces.

I suppose other entries could be wrong, but this ought to be the one
representing "%1".

Another thing could be that python or z2.py might not be present or working
right.  You can test this by opening a command window, then copying the
"start" line from the registry and pasting it into the command window.  If
Zope fails to run, you have a problem with your installation somehow.

Cheers,

Tom P