[Zope] is zope a solution?

tonyl@vextech.net tonyl@vextech.net
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:09:19 +0100

Hi,

I've recently discovered zope and have the feeling that it may be the
solution to a pending application issue. However, I've worked through
the tutorial and I guess I'm no wiser than before, and it didn't really
convince me either way; possibly leading me to believe it's aimed at
small site solutions.

Anyway, I have a project that will need to allow around 10,000 users (or
less) to access at least a million documents. Each user is grouped into
one of a small handful of access levels (determined by cookies). The
documents are pre-existing PDFs, spreadsheet et al. I.e. they're all
static.

A solution along the lines of a standard cgi based bespoke application
isn't particularly taxing from a programming point of view, but clearly
wouldn't offer what I believe to be the potential of zope with it's
prebuilt goodies.

So, I'm wondering whether zope is up to the task (reliability and
scalability), or whether I'm misunderstanding something.

Any observations would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Tony