[Zope] Re: OOP Suggestion: allow local roles to restrict and not only extend user's roles.

Philipp Robbel philipp.robbel@epost.de
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:14:42 +0200

Hi Laurie,

thanks for your quick reply. Yes, that is one option I just tried, but - in
my case - it has a major drawback (see below). First, here's what i did:

- I created a 'test' role with only the permissions to "access contents
information" and "view".
- I created the researchers in the root folder and gave them the "test"
permission.
- I protected the critical dtml and sql methods by making them only
accessible to test & manager - assigned
  people.
- Then in their specific subfolders I gave the researchers the *local_role*
of a Manager.

It works but there is one major drawback in my case. I only quickly checked
but in my case the /database researcher was able to call the
/bioinformatics/show_management_screen and while he couldn't add Documents
in the /bioinformatics directory on that screen (a login box popped up) he
could execute the database methods that inserted the various data under the
/bioinformatics ID just fine.

Did you encounter the same problem?

PS.: the bioinformatics staff is working at the European Media Laboratory in
Heidelberg, Germany (www.eml.org [careful, those pages are old :-) ])

Greetings,
Philipp Robbel