[Zope] Building Zope w/ Sun Forte (rather than gcc)

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:44:35 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony McDonald" <tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk>
> Good luck Paul - there are some issues with python under sun hw and/or
> solaris, which inevitably lead to issues with Zope.

...<snip>...

> I'd be interested in seeing what a Forte compiled python was capable of.
> If it has threading sorted out and is just a few %-age points faster
> than gcc-built python, I'd *really* like to download it!.
>
> Not a lot of help I know, but it's better you know the tiger whose tail
> you're tweaking, no? :)
>
> hth,
> tone

Well, I have similar experices in relation to Solaris including _extremely_
poor performace, threading problems/strangness (that affect even
console-logging), and repeated core dumps. With Tony's report about his
Solaris troubles, I feel safe to exclude DCO2 as the mayor culprit. So...

Would it be reasonable to conclude that it **currently is not possible to
deploy a High Availability Solaris based Zope solution**?

I ask, because we have had very very bad experiences during development
using our Enterprise 450s and I need to ask for funding for a proper linux
box if the Solaris path is impossible (Linux comes to mind, since we need
oracle - which is not supported in bsd - and windows is simply out of the
question).

I have about 20 days until launch of a _mayor_ student portal application
and I need to tell if we should stick with our Solaris boxen for deployment
or change to another solution.

Thank you.

/dario

Dario Lopez-Kästen     Systems Developer  Chalmers Univ. of Technology
dario@ita.chalmers.se  ICQ will yield no hits    IT Systems & Services