[Zope] Building (python) w/ Sun Forte: MORE test results

Paul Horbal horbal@atips.ca
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 14:05:38 -0700

Well, in all fairness... your Athlon is clocked 3.5 times higher than my
Netra and happens to be the architecture for which both Python and gcc
likely receive hefty optimization (x86).  The Netra X1 is also sub-$1000,
fits in 1U and has some really nice Lights-Out Management features (I can
poweroff/poweron via external console or have the watchdog automatically
reboot a stalled system, among other things).  There's also Sun's support,
which - good or bad (I've had the former) - you just can't get for a
commodity PC.

I don't dispute Athlon price/performance (writing this on an Athlon
atm)...  The UltraSparc II isn't exactly a performance leader these days,
if it ever was.  We're talking about a chip that was originally released
over 5 years ago.  But the Netra is not intended to be a speed demon, just
a solid web server.  That's what we bought it for...  =)