[Zope] 4TH REQUEST--HEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!

Ben Ocean zope@thewebsons.com
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:40:32 -0800

Okay, I've written Jim Cain several times asking for help deciphering his
cryptic INSTANCE_HOME stuff but he's too busy to be bothered. I've written
this list several times but nobody's taken the time to help me.

I REALLY, REALLY WANT TO SET UP MY NEW SERVER TO SERVE SEVERAL SEPARATE
INSTANCES OF ZOPE. IF YOU WILL HELP ME, I PROMISE I'LL WRITE A HOW-TO THAT
NORMAL PEOPLE (UNLIKE SUPER-GEEK CAIN) CAN UNDERSTAND.

Okay, 4th try's a charm, right?

In deciphering Mr. Cain's work here
http://www.zope.org/Members/jec/startstop_howto_html I've substituted what
I consider to be appropriate values for the variables in his code (to
conform to the architecture of my box) and written this:

#su nobody -c \
 > "/usr/local/bin/python /home/httpd/ZopeInstallation/zope0/z2.py \
 > -p /home/httpd/cgi/zope0/Zope.cgi \
 > -w '' -m '' -f 8080 -t 2 -Z
/home/httpd/ZopeInstallation/zope0/var/zProcessManager.pid \
 > INSTANCE_HOME=/home/httpd/ZopeInstallation/zope0 \
 > /home/httpd/ZopeInstallation/zope0/z2.log 2>&1 &"

I've created the extra files (Zope.cgi, z2.log). I wasn't quite sure what
pid Jim wanted for his *manager.pid*, so I assumed the zProcessManager was
what he was after and stuck that in. At any rate, when I run the above I
just get a prompt returned, but Zope isn't started. And frankly, I have
little idea what the above code is trying to accomplish and don't even know
where to begin deciphering it. Can someone please let me know what I'm
doing wrong and help me understand what that code is saying?
TIA,
BenO