[Zope] "remote" user-account authentication

Jeffrey Robinson Jeffrey.Robinson@MCICoach.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:50:45 -0600

Hi Folks;

With my current (Linux) network setup I have existing user accounts on one
server and Zope running on another.  I'd like to use Zope to create a
interface that allows folks to customize some aspects of their accounts, but
I've got a little problem right off the start.

Obviously I want users to login to Zope before they can change anything,
which requires users to be authenticated against the existing accounts on
the other server.

I thought perhaps my problems were solved when I saw exUserFolder in
combination with zExtraAuths (authenticating users against IMAPD on the main
server).  Alas, zExtraAuths is no longer supported by the author, and no
longer works correctly with the newer versions of exUserFolder.
Is there a relatively sane way to validate external accounts on a different
machine so that users may login to Zope with the same Username/password
(short of trying to see what isn't working with zExtraAuths and seeing if I
can patch it for my needs... I'm not really a Python-person yet).
Installing additional software on the user-account server is not entirely
out of the question either.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks;

Jeff Robinson