[Zope] Zope out of control

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:52:55 +0100 (CET)

Today, I saw a Zope out of control (for the first time):

  It started with the report of a colleague that he can not
  upload an object.
  I checked the log file and indeed, Zope reported:

    cannot load object <objectid>: string length does not match ...

  Additionally, Zope (2.1.6) died continuously, after about
  every minute.

  The computer was quite slow. Thus, I check with "top":
  load between 130 and 250, changing rapidly, more
  precisely: oszillating between these two values.

  I informed our system administrator. He recognized
  that the zdemon process had 999 threads.

  After this process was killed, everything returned to
  a normal state.

I do not yet know what went on this afternoon.
Just want to let you know about our experience.

Dieter