[Zope] [PROBLEM] ftping large files to ZOPE

Philippe J philippejadin2@swing.be
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:48:44 +0100

> I've uploaded large files (i believe larger than 100MB) before but it was
on
> a local network and didnt have a problem.  but 'in the wild' it didnt work
> as I thought.  anyone have any insight?  is this just not a good idea --
> uploading files >XXX bytes?  is this commonly known?

As the zope db is a single large file, I would recommend using an external
file, with for example the file system product.

I noticed that when you pack the database, zope makes a backup (it's a good
thing), but then you need twice the space of your files...

Ideally, zope should have a setting to store files bigger than xxx bytes
(defined by user) outside the zope db in a dedicated folder on the server
file system. The file should be transparently available in zope and with ftp
or any other methos to access files in zope.
The main advantage is the fact that backups made of databases would never be
huge. Who needs to backup all his images? Only textual content and scripts
need to be backed up.

 Those large files are like blob's in any other db, and there are probably
solutions for normal db, why not use them with zope?

Just my 0.0002

Philippe