[Zope] Different User Folders

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
27 Feb 2001 20:33:25 -0700

On 26 Feb 2001 16:55:54 -0800, Andy McKay wrote:
> Gosh how many different user folders do we have? A quick search for User and
> Software Products turns up 43. I've been using Generic User Folder, but it
> kind of sucks. Is there a better one that is 2.3 compliant, Login Manager
> seems obvious but I cant seen any notes about it being Zope 2.3 compliant?

(Hi Andy, I'll try to answer you questiona s best I can, and piggy-back
a bit on a related Q if you don't mind)

Loginmanager (latest available) is nearly 2.3 compatible. You need to
create an (empty) access file in the zoperoot, and it works fine (of
course, this also assumes you have ZPatterns installed).

When looking at the Zope Roadmap, it seems to me that Loginmanager is
somewhat service oriented. As such, I'd like to see it reach the 1.0
stage, with the access file issue resolved, and be presented as a
zopeService. ideally, I'd like to see it integrated, but that may be a
bit farther down the road than 2.3. As such, LM is not exactly a user
folder.

>From what I know, neither is GUF. FWICT, they are both almost like
components that allow you to build a better user folder than the default
zope one.

> Is there a plan to integerate all these into one or two since they all
> really do the same thing?

IMO, LoginManager provides all the basics need to cfreate a user folder,
form the basic one, to a system wherepon you store member information
either in zope, LDAP, SQL, etc, and can manage users.

This last one, is what the Zope Membership Component is aimed at;
extensible, and scalable user management. being base don Loginmanager
and ZPatterns, it provides the basic ability to have your users stored
anywhere, as well as user management screens.

The User stuff in Zope needs a serious reworking, to provide for
seperation of Username and user identification, but that's another
subject.

Attention LM authors: what is keeping LM from 1.0?

Bill Anderson