[Zope] Zope Good/Bad News Article

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:28:58 -0500

Hey Paul,

Just read your article (http://www.pault.com/zope.html)  and really
enjoyed it (besides comparing Java to Macs... yikes!). I agree that
DC needs to really work with Zope Product Developers and help them as
much as possible. I build and maintain a product and there are times
when working with a new release or debugging something new in Zope
that I would love to have a full fledged contact at Zope. You are
correct that the first thing that people ask about Zope is "What
products are there for it?" and the answer is "A lot" but not all of
them well supported, useful or documented.

DC should encourage and then force developers to be a bit better
about documentation. I have seen product developers put up a  new
product with the full amount of documentation about it being "here it
is... have fun." This certainly does not help all of those people who
want to install and use Zope products. DC can encourage better
product development and documentation by doing simple things such as
T-shirt contest for best product documentation, tip, how-to and all
the rest. Maybe a monthly thing that gets and keeps everyone
involved. Did you see how much time people spent over at ZopeZen.org
just to get that T-shirt. A sense of fun and excitement can go a long
way.

I also like the idea of a Zope Product Zone that links from the home
page. "Downloads" does not really get the point across to most people
of the depth of stuff there. Basic stuff such as how to analyze the
stats and how to find a good Zope hosting provider would also go a
long way.

Anyway.. I wanted to thank you for you thoughts and ideas. I have
CC'd the Zope mailing list (where all the developers really live) so
as to share the response and encourage more.

Thanks,