[Zope] only know HTML; how easy to learn Zope?

Justin Stockton JStockton@DevIS.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:28:04 -0500

> How hard is it for non-programmers to learn Zope?
> Would PHP be easier? How many of you guys
> graduated from Python to
> Zope? If I only know HTML can I realistically
> learn anything beyond the very basics of Zope or
> am I looking at learning Python in parallel?

I don't think PHP would be any easier than learning Zope would be (although
I can't say for sure since I've only glanced at it).  As far as learning
Python in parallel, I think it would be a good idea to learn the basics of
python before tackling Zope.  At least have a general knowledge of objects.
If not, you could easily get into Zope with the bare essentials.  Don't be
surprised when you find yourself wanting to learn as much as you can about
it though.

> Should I start with the Zope Book? Should I start
> learning python at the same time? If Learning
> Python was hard, which book do you recommend?

I learned a lot from the Zope Book, especially the Appendix B.  I also a
learned a lot from "Try it, break it, try something else".  If you're gonna
pick up a Python book though, I'd get O'Reilly's "Learning Python" (the
mouse book).  Very easy to understand and a good primer for those new to
python (although not a great reference book).

Also, don't forget about the Mailing list, and its archives, they're also a
valuable tool in learning Zope as well.  Good luck, and I hope this helps.

- Justin