[Zope] MS Exchange

Jim Hebert jhebert@compu-aid.net
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:29:11 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 Ian@Epperson.com wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be a way to get to it from LDAP (grumble), and
> IMAPv4 is only giving me limited information (Contact Name and
> Notes).  I don't think there's a way to do it with COM or MAPI (as my
> Zope server is Linux), but I'm not sure.

Well, whatever API there is on the windows box, you can presumably write a
python (or perl, or C++, or java, or whatever) program that queries that
information and makes it available via xml-rpc. Depending on your needs,
you could for example use the zope side as the xml-rpc server, and push
the contents of the info into zope nightly or something.

Or, there's a very trivial to use xml-rpc server written in python that
you could run on the exchange side, and let zope be the client side of the
call.

Most people I know treat their Exchange server like they treat their
great-grandmothers, in an effort to lessen (heh, not eliminate)
crashing... So it depends on how each solution effects your comfort level
wrt the load on the server I guess.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/python/2001/01/17/xmlrpcserver.html
http://www.pythonware.com/products/xmlrpc/

Frankly, exporting the data via a web server on the exchange server is not
a bad idea if you're already running the web server, especially if you
export the data in a format easy to deal with programattically, for
instance an asp page which dumps an XML document (you can probably write a
trivial set of tags to mark up names, phone numbers, whatever, or find an
existing DTD that works) and then zope can massage that however it wants.

HTH,HAND,

jim