[Zope] Interbase gvibDA Adapter - Threading and Interbase Roles

W. Robert Kellock sales@creditscore.co.nz
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:20:22 +1300

Hi,

I was wondering whether you could tell me which way we should go when using
the gvibDA database adapter.  In your documentation it says:

"gvib.threadsafety

  This attribute indicates what level of thread safety the
  code supports.  It is set to 1 - Threads may share the
  module but not connections."

In Zope does this mean that database requests are serialized or will the
connection crash if two or more SQL methods attempt to use the connector
simultaneously?  Your documentation appears to suggest that using External
Methods which open and close the database in a single pass enables us to
bypass the thread safety problem, by riding on the back of the ZODB
multi-threaded architecture.  Is that true or would a heavy traffic site
that is constantly opening and closing connections bring Interbase to it's
knees?

Finally, it doesn't appear that either gvibDA or ZODBC support Interbase
roles.  I guess we don't really need them anyway if we use Zope's security
properly :-)

W.Robert Kellock                                    Ph:
+64 3 326 6115
Sales Manager                                        Fax:
+64 3 326 6115
Credit Systems Control Ltd                      Web:
www.creditscore.co.nz
                                              "making decisions easy"