[Zope] 2.3.0 really not Beta?

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@mail2.phd.pp.ru>
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 18:18:37 +0300 (MSK)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Stephan Goeldi wrote:
> >Again, 2.3.0 works for me pretty nice in this aspect.
> >I am going to switch to VirtualHostMonster, but now I use SiteRoot, and I
> >am satsified.
>
> Do you have different domains under the same tree?
> In my installation there are about 10 domains on 1 server.
> 9 domains work perfect, 1 does not.

   Yes, I have, 3 different domains. And only 2 of them have SiteRoot
objects.

> It doesn't seem to be a good day for you, does it?

   Absoluteley not. But it is strange to see people demanding stable
software without doing something good for it. Stable software without user
support? Nonsense! It's me who make the software good! Join me and help me
(and the community).

> OK, let's say 2.3.0 is really stable. What is the difference,
> which made Zope go away on my redhat server? Is there anything
> different in installing 2.3.0 than 2.2.5?

   Now something more constructive.
   Well, I didn't do anything special. First time I installed 2.3 I
copied old Data.fs from 2.2.5, but later I found that 2.3 has much nicer
interface, and I wanted to preserve its original root folder, so I
restarted 2.2.5, exported all folders, and imported them to fresh 2.3. I
also copied all products (except for SiteAccess - it is bundled with 2.3,
finally) and reimported all ZClassess (I use 2 such Products).

   BTW, I remember now that I have a problem similar to your problem with
SiteAccess, and it is with 2.2.2. There is specail installation where
sysadmin runs Zope in a very restrictive environment (chroot, to name the
term). And there I have the problem, but I can login to site not from root,
but from main site address, and manage the site. I hope to eliminate the
problem encouraging him to upgarde to 2.3, and I'll switch to
VirtualHostMonster later.

> >Why didn't you test 2.3 betas and caught these errors?
>
> Because I am not a programmer. I am an administrator and
> webdesigner.

   Then I hope you will encourage you programmers to improve Zope!

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann     http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/     phd@phd.pp.ru