[Zope] Excavating for Clues

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:08:35 +0100 (CET)

Spicklemire, Jerry writes:
 > When I call "REQUEST.redirect(other_url)", the REQUEST isn't destroyed, in
 > fact all the parameters are retained, right down to the original method, so
 > that a "get" method passes parameters appended to the URL, and a "post"
 > method includes all the original REQUEST parameters in the header.
The HTTP/1.1 specification is unfortunately very vague with respect
to what should be done with the request parameters.
Thus, browsers have some freedom what they do about them.

I am unsure what behaviour I would favour:

  If I have a GET method, I would usually not like the
  browser to append the old request parameters.
  For, if I would like them available, I can easily
  add the QUERY_STRING myself.

  However, if I have a POST method, I cannot provide
  the request body in the redirect.
  It would be natural when the browser would send
  the original request body just to the new location.

I think, the second behaviour is more in line with the
notion of redirection: send the same request to a different
URL. However, my browser (Netscape 4) implements the first
behaviour.

 > Not what I need. All I want to do is to pipe the output of a page generation
 >
 > process back to the requestor (a PDF file, in this case), so that it appears
 >
 > to be a page being returned in response to a get, submitted with no
 > parameters.
Why are you unhappy about the parameters.
Usually, they do not hurt.

Dieter