[Zope] Linux, Zope, Python versions not playing well together?

Gary Perez garyp@asti-usa.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 12:06:00 -0500

Hello, all.

Quick background info:
Developing on Linux box (2.2.x kernel) w/ Python 1.5.2 + Zope 2.2.2.
(Call it "DevBox")
The Powers That Be have said actual "production" platform is Linux 2.4.1
kernel, Python 2.0, Zope 2.2.2. (Call it "ProdBox").

So I:
1. Stop Zope on both boxes.
2. Move $/Zope/var/Data.fs* and $/Zope/Extensions/* from DevBox to
ProdBox, untar/gunzip Products on ProdBox.
3. Verify/adjust permissions as necessary.
4. Start Zope on ProdBox (running as user "zope", not root).

ProdBox runs (seemingly) okay w/ stuff from DevBox, except...

A. Zope start up errors:

WARNING: Python C API version mismatch for module cStringIO:
  This Python has API version 1009, module cStringIO has version 1007.

(This module plus a list of 25 other modules.)

They don't keep Zope from running, but I wonder if this is the root of
my other problems(?). Anyone know of incompatibility issues b/w Zope
2.2.2 and Python 2.0?

B. Also, user logins kill Zope, but it restarts on its own.

Example:
Went to http://ProdBox. Cool.
Went to http://ProdBox/Folder. Cool.
Went to http://ProdBox/Folder/DTMLMethod. (User login required)
        username: *****
        password: *****
"Server not responding, using cached copy" error (wtf?).
In my telnet window, I see text scrolling because Zope just started (restarted).
Click click click, all is seemingly well now...
Went to http://ProdBox/manage (Zope management interface, different user
login required)
        username: *****
        password: *****
"Server not responding, using cached copy" error (wtff?).
In my telnet window, I see text scrolling because Zope just started
(restarted) yet again.

Anyone have any idea why Zope is dying and instantly starting up again
(as far as I can tell it only happens @ login)? Could this be related to
the Z2.2.2/P2.0 incompatibility issue (if any)?

I'm wary of upgrading to Zope 2.3.0 based on problems I had last time I
upgraded (lots of stuff 'broke' in the transition), but not 100% adverse
to the prospect of doing so.

Any ideas, suggestions, fixes, zen, or anything like that?

Any/all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Gary