[Zope] Solution for ERROR(200) ZServer Cannot write PID file when used INSTANCE_HOME

aZaZel azazel@chiaroscuro.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:30:34 +0100

Grégoire Weber wrote:

> Hi Evan,
> Hi all,
>
> I made a cc to the zope list because other people could encounter the same
> problem and I couldn't find anything appropriate about the solution in the
> list.
>
> I tried to make my life easier with INSTANCE_HOME as described in
> http://www.zope.org/Members/4am/instancehome. All seems to work fine. But
> Zope displays the following error on startup:
>    2001-02-13T09:41:49 ERROR(200) ZServer Cannot write PID file.
>
> After some searching I know what happend. I _moved_ the whole var directory
> to my INSTANCE_HOME so zope couldn't write the pcgi.pid to the disappeared
> var directory anymore.
>
> So I propose to mention the fact in your the How-To that at least a empty
> var directory has to remain in the original zope installation.
>
> This note applies to Zope 2.3.0 (and possibly to former versions too) on a
> NT4SP6us machine.
>
> Greetings, Greg
>
> P.S.: Sorry about my emglish. It's not my mother tongue!

this is not true on linux where debian installation uses INSTANCE_HOME
to put the var directory and other things such as the new installed
products in /var/lib/zope  and the code (without another var directory)
in /usr/lib/zope, but the last zope package is for zope 2.2.4.