[Zope] planning new site, Zope questions

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:32:24 -0800

> > - the site will need a good search engine.  Since we will be putting all
of
> > our articles in a separate database, is it still possible to use
ZCatalog ?

> I believe that it is theoretically possible to use the ZCatalog to index
> external database data, I wouldn't be able to tell you how to do this.
> Other on this list may, though.

Create a non-persistent object from the database catalog it, then let it be
destroyed is on way. Never quite got it work as smoothly as that though. I
would base you decision to separate the data based on 1) the amount of data
expected and 2) the amount of changes to that data. My personal anything
over about 1000 "things" is easier in RDBMS, and / or anything that gets
changed more than a few times.

--
  Andy McKay.