[Zope] Connecting to MySQL

Nick McDowell nmcdowell@quris.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:50:44 +1300

Here is part (and very unfinished) of some documentation I was writing about
Zope and MySQL.  I am using different version of MySQL however.

Hope it helps.
Nick

Zope and MySQL

Software and versions:

Base software:
	Python1.5.2 (source)
	Distutils-1.0.1.tar.gz

Zope-2.2.5 (source)
	MySQL-3.22.32-1.src.rpm (source)
	MySQL-devel-3.22.32-1.i386.rpm
	MySQL-client-3.22.32-1.i386.rpm

For the MySQL connector:
	ZMySQLDA-2.0.1.tar.gz
	MySQL-python-0.3.0.tar.gz

HowTo:

Build and Install software

·	Configure and install Python - use the "./configure -with--thread" option
as Zope requires multithreading.
·	Install the python Distribution Utilities (Distutils-1.0.1.tar.gz).  This
is required when building the MySQL connector.  The "Distutils" come with
later versions of Python but are not included with v1.5.2
·	Install MySQL, preferably from source, and addition binaries. The
additional binaries are required to compile the MySQL connector later on.
·	Install Zope - instructions in the docs/INSTALL file.  Start it for
confirmation that it works ok.
·	Untar ZMySQLDA-2.0.1.tar.gz in your root Zope dir, this will install two
packages into the products directory, ZMySQLDA and ZMySQLTDA.
·	Untar MySQL-python-0.3.0.tar.gz directly into your products dir.  Follow
the instructions in the README file to build and install this module ie:
		o	$ python setup.py build
		o	# python setup.py install   (you may need to be root for this)
	Errors here most likely indicate your missing /incorrectly installed some
of the additional MySQL libraries or and  Distutils
·	Restart Zope to confirm all is ok.  If any errors are generated recheck
the last two previous steps.