[Zope] MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc

ender kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:16:04 -0800

On Thursday 15 February 2001 08:39, Donald Braman wrote:
> It is nice that Postgres is close to SQL standards compliance. If I have to
> learn a db language, it may as well be real SQL. I also like the on-line
> official Postgres on-line manual much more than MySQLs (though I just
> ordered Paul Paul DuBois MySQL book which gets rave reviews). One thing
> that MySQL *does* have that is attractive to me (please feel free to laugh
> at my pathetic state) is a GUI. Now, for a dope like me who resides,
> whenver possible, in GUI land, that is a nice feature. But, I'm also not a
> fool, and it sounds like (at least from the responses I've gotten so far)
> it is probably worth my while to learn SQL and Postgres from the command
> line and save myself headaches down the road. So I have two follow up
> questions...
>
> 1. Documentation will be important to me...are there good references out
> there beyond the Postgres (on-line/hard copy) manual that I could look at?

postgresql, addison wesley, burce momjian. its under open content license
with text at postgres site. its been thoroughly reviewed.

the mailing lists are good place to start, they have many different ones,
good starters are the novices, sql, and maybe the general list.

> 2. Is there any GUI project for Postgres out there?

never used it, but there is something called pgaccess. also someone was
showing a demo of a zope app that provided gui interactivity with postgres
(it looked amazing).

kapil