[Zope] How many objects can ZODB hold?

sbabu@tnc.org sbabu@tnc.org
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:39:43 EST

Hi,

Probably a dumb question: I know ZODB stores everything
in an Object table. So, this table probably has a fixed length
primary key. To maintain this, let us say there should be
a counter which tracks the number of records in the table.

The question is, is there any limit to this? Like Zope can hold
1million objects?

Again, if that's the case and if packing does not re-assign
the object id's, this 1million is superfluous because the OID
for deleted objects are not reclaimed.

I'm an RDBMS guy - hence this doubt.

Example:

Add an object A - its internal zope id is 1234
Add another object B - its internal id is 1235
Add C - internally it is 1236

Delete B. Pack it.
Does it look like
A - internal 1234
C - internal 1235

I know, crazy question. But we have a site which has objects
added and deleted and packed at a fairly regular rate (users
- lot of non-technical ones - are very much used to deleting things and adding
new/fixed
stuff, instead of trying to fix things to wrong ones!). I'm
getting some concerns about this size now.

Thanks

V.Satheesh Babu     Web Technologies Group, (703)-841-5348    sbabu@tnc.org
The Nature Conservancy                http://www.tnc.org
http://vsbabu.csoft.net/
"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it
on." --- Jone's Law