[Zope] Starting a hosting business

Jake Berglund ncon@imeme.net
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:23:16 -0500

Hello,

> Is this as simple as setting up multple instance homes and having them
> all point at the one version of zope, or do
> I need one install of zope for each instance home too?

You can run a server full of Zopes from a singular Software home.
When you want to upgrade the Zope instances,
you just change the start scripts in the INSTANCE_HOMEs.

> I guess the other thing I need to think about is how a request is
> directed to each instance of zope.  I know I can get an instance to
> listen to just one ip address, so if each domain had it's own ip address,
> that would be fine.

Individual IPs make things convenient.

> However, if multiple sites share the same ip
> address, how would I send the request to the correct instance? (using
> zserver)

You can run multiple Zopes from the same IP,
you just have to offset their ports.

Cheers,
Jake
--