[Zope] Tux & Zope?

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:05:49 -0800

I have extensively looked over the documentation, and am in the midst of
compiling for the first time on my PC.

Haven't tried it already, though; my main reason, is that I operate most of
my Linux servers on Sun hardware, and am waiting for the dust to settle on
2.4.0 before I start trying to work with Tux; Tux is (in theory) only tested
for i386, thought I don't see any reason (offhand) it won't work on
Linux/sparc (unless there are some endian issues I am not aware of with the
kernel-space module).  The main advantage to Tux is that it caches TCP
checksums (for all the content it serves, I believe), reducing CPU load,
which seems likes a good idea (especially if you have hardware - like Sun -
where your CPU is a bigger bottleneck than the bus, I/O, etc).

Anyway, as complicated as it sounds, I am going to be setting up some new
servers that likely have a configuration that uses Tux on port 80 (serving
images only), Apache on 8080 (serving static pages, and logging access), and
ZServer on 9080.  Tux would proxy to Apache, and once that was set up, I
could set up an Apache mod_proxy connection to Zope using the ideas in the
howtos.  This way, I get fast serving of images and multimedia via Tux, a
full Apache config, and Zope running with virtual hosts.

Once I try this config, I will let everyone know how it works out.

What I would really like to see is this: Images and multi-media that can be
served by Tux, but managed by Zope, so that all content is managed, but
serving the images and multi-media is really fast, and not reliant on the
ODB.  I thought I saw something about a product that is like OFS:File &
OFS:Image, but saves the files to the filesystem - that kind of thing might
work for such a config.

Sean