[Zope] Unexplained Slowdown

Ian Thomas ithomas@sd70.bc.ca
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:40:56 -0800

When I upgraded to Zope 2.2.5 access to my Zope over the web slowed down
dramatically and I haven't been able to figure out why. I am interested
in ideas I can try to track it down the problem or at least
quantify/benchmark the slowness.

Some background.
1) I am a computer teacher teaching Zope to my second year web
development students who have already learned HTML and been introduced
to JavaScript.
2) The server is a my test machine that my students and I use for
learning.
3) The "production" server still running 2.2.4 continues to preform
normally.
4) The machine is Celeron 500 mhz 64 meg ram running Windows 2000 Server
5) I run Medusa server that comes with Zope to server the web pages.
6) There is no gateway set up on this machine so that it is only visible
from within the school.

Notes.
1) It is much faster if I access via localhost on the server.

What I have tried.
1) Installing 2.2.4 on another port. It ran just as slow.
2) Today I removed the 2.2.4 installation and installed 2.3beta, again
it seems just as slow.

What Next?
The next thing I was thinking was to serve the webpages from IIS using
PCGI.
I am interested in other ideas.

I. Thomas