[Zope] ActiveState on Zope.org

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:42:51 -0800

> hi,
>
> I'm kind of surprised that Active State has such a big promo on Zope.org's
> site considering they use IIS; and considering the blurb talks about how
> much they do for Open Source.

We use IIS for many reasons, it's fast and we use some of products in
conjunction with it. To suggest that using IIS is somehow "wrong" confuses
me, Zope.org doesn't use ZServer. For me the flexibilty of using Zope any
way we see fit is its greatest strength. We made a decision to serve
"static" content using a simple fast server and dynamic content using Zope.

Actually we have the main web site in Zope. Its the CMS for the main web
site and only accessible internally. This allows multiple users to access
and make changes, templating and so on. Since this content changes very
rarely we use wget hack to move the information to the main web site to be
served by IIS, since IIS can serve out many more pages per second that Zope
can (because it is doing some much less). This is a "right product for the
right job" decision.

For the dynamic portions (mailing list arcive etc.) we use Zope and ZServer
quite happily on the front end. One day we may move to having the whole site
in Zope, who knows :).

As mentioned we do a great deal for Open Source (ActivePerl, ActivePython,
PyXPCOM, PPM and so on) to name a just a bit. ActiveState is one of the very
few companies where we pay people to hack open source stuff all day. In the
same way Guido works for DC and spends time on Python, we have many talented
Python and Perl developers (David Ascher, Paul Prescod, Gurusamy Sarathy,
Jan Dubois) who in put a great deal of Open Source work.

Cheers.

--
  Andy McKay, Developer.
  ActiveState.