[Zope] Numeric Entries in Catalog Search

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:51:09 +0000

Tim Cook wrote:

> I specified in the catalog that I wanted a Textfield index for
> these. In the search form I specify the input with the :string
> type. I would have assumed that these would work just like Last
> Name and First Name work (which BTW work fine). But the numeric
> strings never find a match even though the properties exist with
> the data in them and the objects are registered in the catalog.

Your problem may be the use of Text Indices. These use the voabulary, which
handily strips out digits when indexing :-(

The way to get around it would be to use a Field Index...

> Example: (folderish ZClass object)
> Ann Jackson with a DOB of 1960/01/01
>
> I can find her with a* in the first_name
> I can find her with j* in the last_name
> I cannot find her with 1960* or for that matter 1960/01/01 in the
> dob.

...of course, then you can't use globbing matches like that, so there's no real
solution :-(

Can only suggest mailing Chris P and asking him, as he was last to do some
serious routing in the Catalog code...

> Any clues here?

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Chris