[Zope] Another Zope in the wild - Anarchy Online

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
01 Jul 2001 15:11:58 -0600

On 01 Jul 2001 22:44:08 +0200, infos wrote:
> > I just started playing Anarchy Online (a new online massively multiplayer
> > game), and when visiting their community site
> > (http://community.anarchy-online.com) I noticed some distinctive URLs :^)
>
> ---
> a little off-topic, but this web site is truly bad in design.
> whoever designed this website is one of those people who try to shut out
> those whose web browser does not fit into his little world of thinking and
> all i got was some dumb page asking me to upgrade or download a different
> browser.
> this is about as cardinal a sin as saying "best viewed at 600x800"...
> ---
>
> i don't think you can blame webdesigner to focus on making "cool" stuff
> instead of fighting netscape's buggy implementation of web standards...

Sure you can. is the point of the site to look cool, or to get osmething
done? if the point is to get something done, then coolness is secondary,
and focussing on coolness is faultiness.

> i've made a lot of webdesigns and evrytime i could i made it
> netscpae/macintosh/etc... friendly, but sometimes you just have to get rid
> of netscape 4.x because it is such a piece of junk that you simply can't
> work with it...

Actually, if you look at it, NS 4.x follows more standards. IE made it's
popularity by ignoring invalid HTML. The big, big, problem people have
with Netscape's handling of *HTML* is that it will quite often not
render incomplete table definitions. Just as it should be.

Other than that, it does have nasty issues with javascript. Though, in
fairness there are a lot of cross-browser libraries that handle most of
the differences.

> the reason why this particular website filters netscape 4 is because of its
> weird javascript handling of objects (div), and i can really understand why
> they are doing it.
>
> you simply can't code "out of the w3c book" with netscape, it's impossible
> to get something working straight...
>
> take a look at www.dhtml.com and you'll see that 90% of the code is netscape
> compatibility/bugs related.

So what does that have to do with HTML??

Dhtml is NOT html. it is javascript. If you code "out of the w3 book",
you are _not_ doing dhtml. You are doing some sort of client-side
scripting.

> imho of course ;-)))

likewise