[Zope] is DTML a www standard?

Christopher J. Kucera ckucera@globalcrossing.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 08:49:33 -0500

"B.N.V. Raman" wrote:
> I'm new to zope, and was just wondering if DTML is used by other
> applications and if DTML is a web standard or not...

1) "Is DTML used by other applications?"
   Answer: No

2) "Is DTML a web standard?"
   Answer: This question is somewhat misleading.  DTML is used on the
   Zope server to dynamically render HTML back to the client.  Someone
   viewing a Zope webpage in whatever web browser they use will NEVER
   see any of your DTML, and the browser doesn't need to know anything
   about it, because it's all parsed on the server side.  If this was the
   gist of the question, then it's somewhat irrelevant if DTML is a
   "standard" or not because only the programmer of the site has to
   worry about it.
   If your question was merely, "is there a standard for DTML," then
   Digital Creations is the One True Source. :)

Hope that clears some things up,
CJ