[Zope] Re: WHY ? -- Performace in serving large media files from ZODB vs from external file system

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:39:01 -0400

> From: Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de>
>
> I have to admit that I did not make any measurements.

This is what we need, some real world numbers.

> However, when I chased errors in "HTTPResponse.HTTPResponse.write"
> (back in version 2.1.6), I recognized that such a write
> does not go straight to the HTTP connection but goes through
> an intermediate file. Thus, your large file is copied
> once at the server side before it is streamed out to
> the browser. And there is some Python code around that
> controls this buffering.
> Thus, I expect that ZServer is at least twice as slow as
> direct serving the file.

I wonder why this temp file is used....  but just because a file is used
doesn't make it twice as slow.  Either the whole system needs to be analyzed
or measured.