[Zope] Re: WHY ? -- Performace in serving large media filesfrom ZODB vs from external file system

Sedat Yilmazer sedat@kibele.com
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:22:49 +0300

 Hi Zopers
=20

 In most of the systems  ( specially where we have a server and =
performanace requirements) we have high end systems with fast disk =
access. In such system the problem most of the time is the CPU =
power/RAM/Internet Connection Speeds. If you have a system with a =
2-8Mbps your basic bottleneck is at the CPU and RAM side, NOT at the =
Disc IO side.

 Lets assume that the total response time is=20

 setting up the client/server connection + (How is it in ZServer forks? =
)=20
 request processing + =20
 finding the object in ZODB +=20
 Reading the object from ZODB +=20
 writing the data to temp file +=20
 pushing the file to client

 In this picture writting the file once more to the file system should =
not be a big part of the picture. In most systems IO is initiated by the =
CPU and completed by the hardware (DMA). If your channel to HD can not =
cope with that you must have the fastest Internet connection on the =
plannet.

 So as the last point. I would never ever giveup a consistent =
implementation if the performance inrease is  less then %100.
 HW is so cheap that spending some days to get thing working may cost =
you alot more.=20

 Sedat

=20