[Zope] Site statistics

Kyler B. Laird laird@ecn.purdue.edu
Sun, 08 Jul 2001 11:49:54 -0500

I see that someone has already pointed out the Z2.log,
but in case anyone is interested in more complex
solutions, here's one we're pursuing.

We're going to use multiple Apache (HTTP/HTTPS)
servers as the front ends to a line of ZEO clients.
Using Z2.log with multiple machines is very clumsy and
I want to be able to make powerful realtime queries,
so we are going to use PostgreSQL (or Oracle, if
forced - ZODB is *not* appropriate for this).
	http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/apachepglogd.php

This will collect all of the hits to all of the
HTTP(S) servers and will keep track of things I did
not see in Z2.log such as time spent to answer the
request.  ("Who gets to pay for the next ZEO client?")
If I want a report, I'll whip up something using
psycopg and ZGDChart.  I'll also let my users do this
(as we do with Analog on Apache now) instead of
resorting to the tacky counter images.

I won't have disks on the ZEO clients (nor on the
Apache servers), so I will probably eliminate Z2.log.

--kyler