[Zope] Propietary software with Zope. was: Zope license

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:08:51 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 zope@zope.org wrote:

> Jerome Alet wrote:
> > 1 - You can develop proprietary software with Zope.
> Proprietary software with Zope.....
> How would someone develop "closed source" software with Zope. ?

"Proprietary" has exactly nothing to do with "Closed Source".

In "Closed Source" you can't view the sources.

In "Proprietary" you may view them but not do anything with it, especially
not reuse any minor part of them.

> It would be easy to just twickle around with Data.fs and use "python
> zpasswd.py -u newuser -p newpasswd" on a fresh zope installation and take
> the "protected" Data.fs to get access into the source code. Or, I am
> missing something ?
> How can code be protected in Zope, at least to the same (relative) level
> of a compiled object code?
> This has been a discussion going in our company with some customers as to
> how to protect developed code...

Just don't give access to the filesystem and the ZODB in management mode,
to any people you don't want to be able to see the sources. This is a
security question, not a licensing one.

bye,

Jerome Alet - alet@unice.fr - http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome
Fac de Medecine de Nice        http://wwwmed.unice.fr
Tel: (+33) 4 93 37 76 30     Fax: (+33) 4 93 53 15 15
28 Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - FRANCE