[Zope] External Method limits

Lee Harr missive@hotmail.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:39:35 -0000

Hi:

I am working through the section of the Zope Book on External Methods
(chapter 8: Advanced Zope Scripting --
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/ScriptingZope.dtml -- Secton: Using
External Methods)

There is an example there which uses PIL that I am having some trouble with.
Whenever I try to use makeThumbnail on a file which is more than about 60K I
get the following error:

Error Type: TypeError
Error Value: expected string, ImplicitAcquirerWrapper found

with this traceback:

Traceback (innermost last):
File /usr/local/www/Zope/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 223, in
publish_module
File /usr/local/www/Zope/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 187, in
publish
File /usr/local/www/Zope/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py, line 221, in
zpublisher_exception_hook
(Object: Traversable)
File /usr/local/www/Zope/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 171, in
publish
File /usr/local/www/Zope/lib/python/ZPublisher/mapply.py, line 160, in
mapply
(Object: makeThumbnail)
  File /usr/local/www/Zope/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 112, in
call_object
(Object: makeThumbnail)
File
/usr/local/www/Zope/lib/python/Products/ExternalMethod/ExternalMethod.py,
line 262, in __call__
(Object: makeThumbnail)
(Info: ((<Folder instance at 8a4cf00>, '002_2.JPG', 128), {}, (128,)))
File /usr/local/www/Zope/Extensions/Thumbnail.py, line 18, in makeThumbnail
(Object: Traversable)
TypeError: (see above)

My sense is that I am either running in to limitations on how much
processing an External Method is allowed to perform (which I do not believe)
or else the cStringIO module uses a different approach with files of a
certain size and PIL does not like it.

Any wisdom?