[Zope] portability of Zope applications

A. Giacomelli andreag@crs4.it
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:43:13 +0200

Hi,

I am new to Zope. I started evaluating it a bit to understand its use in
our environment.

2 questions concerning the 'portability' of Zope applications:

1- assuming I have 2 Zope servers, one for development and one for
deployment: is it possible to port all stuff made in one folder with
installation 1 in installation 2 ? ...I would imagine a utility to
'pack' all objects and unpack them in another installation.

2- as to database connectivity (I am used to PHP, where with PHPlib I
can write PHP which is portable to setups using different servers).

Does the same apply to Zope ? I.e. if I am using ODBC/Access in my
'prototype', and Oracle in my full-blown application, is it sufficient
to have a connection ID with the same name to insure portability ?

TIA for any feedback.
Andrea Giacomelli
Centre for Advanced Studies, Research and
Development in Sardinia
Environment Group

http://www.crs4.it/~andreag