[Zope] portability of Zope applications

ender kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:54:46 -0700

On Friday 13 July 2001 01:43, A. Giacomelli wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am new to Zope. I started evaluating it a bit to understand its use in
>>our environment.
>>
>>2 questions concerning the 'portability' of Zope applications:
>>
>>1- assuming I have 2 Zope servers, one for development and one for
>>deployment: is it possible to port all stuff made in one folder with
>>installation 1 in installation 2 ? ...I would imagine a utility to
>>'pack' all objects and unpack them in another installation.

as jerome suggested exporting and importing will take care of most of it.
ASSUMING you have the same python products installed at both installations.
one thing i've started playing around with recently is andy m.'s excellent
ZSyncer product which can help you automate this to some degree.

http://www.zope.org/Members/andym

>>2- as to database connectivity (I am used to PHP, where with PHPlib I
>>can write PHP which is portable to setups using different servers).
>>
>>Does the same apply to Zope ? I.e. if I am using ODBC/Access in my
>>'prototype', and Oracle in my full-blown application, is it sufficient
>>to have a connection ID with the same name to insure portability ?

well that really depends on what kinda of sql your writing and for what
databases. if the sql constructs your using are supported by both dbs than
sure, if they're not than you'll have to make adjustments. things like
oracle's outer join syntax vs. ansi 92 sql's and how access likes to handle
date times will probably need some alteration.

cheers

kapil