[Zope] portability of Zope applications

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:44:40 -0400

[A. Giacomelli]

> Does the same apply to Zope ? I.e. if I am using ODBC/Access in my
> 'prototype', and Oracle in my full-blown application, is it sufficient
> to have a connection ID with the same name to insure portability ?

You can't count on Oracle and Access being fully compatible in their syntax,
even using odbc.  Each and every query will have to be checked.  It may or
may not work without changes, depending of course on those pesky details.
Even the connection string may turn out to be different so a connection with
the same name may or may not work, either.  In other words, test before
committing.

On the other hand, they'll probably be ***close***, so it won't be like
starting from scratch again even if things don't quite work.

Cheers,

Tom P