[Zope] Zope vs Kylix?

Luciano Ramalho luciano@hiper.com.br
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:20:22 -0300

Comparing Zope to Kylix is like comparing an automobile with a
powerboat. The only similary is that both are vehicles, but they are
designed for completely different purposes.

Kylix does not provide anything like ZODB, the ZMI (Zope Management
Interface), the sophisticated permissions machinery, a search engine
like ZCatalog, web-based development tools like ZClasses, ZSQLMethods
etc.

The programming language of Kylix, Object Pascal, is much lower level
than Python and even Java, since it does not provide automatic garbage
collection, AFAIK (you must manage memory by hand, like in C). You will
have to write a lot of code to do many things that are simple with DTML
or Python Scripts. And you will have to write a lot more code to develop
anything close to any the features of Zope that I just mentioned (ZODB,
ZMI, permissions, ZCatalog, ZClasses, ZSQLMethods).

However, if I needed to develop a desktop application with a very rich
and interactive GUI, like a specialized editor, a game or a real-time
graphic display for some data-aquisition hardware, I would certainly
choose Kylix over Zope or any other tool that used a web browser as a
client-side interface.

Really, there is no comparison between Zope and Kylix. And that does not
imply any superiority by one over the other. They are just completely
different beasts. You could compare Python and Kylix, or Zope and
WebObjects, but that's another story...

Regards,

Luciano