[Zope] &dtml-???

Eric Walstad eric@walstads.net
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:12:06 -0700

Hi Chris,
That's the "Entity Syntax" of the DTML var tag.  Check out:
Hmm.  I was going to give you a link to the docs at Zope.org. but I can't
seem to get to it right now...
Here's what it says:
-----8<-- Start Snip --8<-----
Var Tag Entity Syntax
Zope provides a shortcut DTML syntax just for the simple var tag. Because
the var tag is a singleton, it can
be represented with an HTML entity like syntax:
&dtml-cockatiel;
This is equivalent to:
<dtml-var name="cockatiel" html_quote>
The main reason to use the entity syntax is to avoid putting DTML tags
inside HTML tags. For example,
instead of writing:
<input type="text" value="<dtml-var name="defaultValue">">
You can use the entity syntax to make things more readable for you and your
text editor:
<input type="text" value="&dtml-defaultValue;">
The var tag entity syntax is very limited. You can't use Python expressions
and some tag attributes with it.
----->8-- End Snip -->8-----

When you have some time, you should check out The Zope Book.

Eric.