[Zope] Macromedia SiteSpring

Mario Valente mvalente@ruido-visual.pt
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:16:20 +0100

At 08:25 20-07-2001 -0700, sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:
>Frankly, I don't see how a light-weight workflow system like that is really
>all that Zope-like.  It provides, AFAIK, no development environment,

  No, that is provided by their other products. DreamWeaver, ColdFusion....

>no
>object-database,

  Cold Fusion interfaces to several relational databases. No OO though,
 for sure.

>no access to heterogeneous external data,

  Cold Fusion does this. SiteSpring is an interface to that.

>no
>content-repository.  It provides a "file-server-based approach," which of
>course means all this product does is workflow and file versioning!

  Probably. But the workflow features sure are nice. Like they say
 "SiteSpring provides communication, collaboration and management". I'm
 more than aware that Zope already gives us collaboration (partly) and
 management. But its weak on "communication" and "collaboration" when
 viewed in terms of workflow.

>If anything, whatever sitespring is, it likely competes with the various
>content management products for Zope and not Zope itself.

  I think you're wrong. SiteSpring + ColdFusion is the Zope competitor.
  If you add to that Dreamweaver, you've got the whole web production
 covered nicely. And Zope is still lacking in terms of workflow and in
 terms of web site frontend design and layout. I'm rooting for TAL/TALES,
 working with XML/XSL and hoping for a better editor (Boa, Dreamweaver
 or GoLive integration, etc).

>My guess is in order to get something like SiteSpring to work
>with similar functionality, you have to buy CF server, 3 zillion copies of
>Dreamweaver Ultradev, and every other Macromedia product in existence and
>you would still only be about 1/3 of the way...

  :-) Yeah, point taken.

  C U!

  -- Mario Valente