[Zope] Is it just me...

Amr Malik aeamalik@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:12:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- complaw@hal-pc.org wrote:
> > ....or is this list EXTREMELY unfriendly to new users?
>
> The learning curve on Zope is rather daungting.  That doesn't help.  Once you
> start getting Zope, you put some serious distance between the you and the
> newbies.  The learning curve is less linear and more like a band-pass filter.
>
> That makes Zope look harder for newbies than it really is.
>
> As you might recall, we had a debate on this list regaring whether or not to
> create a ZopeNewbies list.  Back then I was against it.  But your observation
> (along with mine) has prompted me to reevaluate my earlier negative opinion.
>
> Linux-Mandrake has a separate Newbie and Expert list.  There wouldn't be any
> harm in subscribing to BOTH lists.  Moreover, a periodic FAQ could be mailed
> out
> on the list with all the newbie type questions we see so often (and perhaps
> forget ourselves from time to time).
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> Ron

snip..

I think a NewbiesList and a FAQ is a good idea. I don't know what
the previous discussion was, but surely, some good points were raised,
and it wasn't created due to some good reason.

It may not be a bad idea to sort of creat a reading list and a quasi curriculum
for beginners so at least all the conceptual ducks are lined up as it were! :)

May I suggest the following:
NOTE: I don't think I'm qualified to recommend what should these items contain,
I think it will give new users a good starting point though!

1. A core introductry reading list

2. A series of problem-sets to be solved using Zope (okay I'm taking this from
   ACS a bit, but I think its not such a bad idea!)

3. A FAQ distilled from the ZDP, the lists, etc. etc.

4. ???? maybe other stuff?

After doing this reading, I think the beginners (me included) can ask more
productive questions!

Regarding the "unfriendliness":

I see a lot of people helping a lot of newbies, so don't think the list is
unhelpful, maybe it wants you to do your homework first? :)

Sometimes the list _is_ a bit intimidating, I think, but
I haven't spent much time on other lists to do a comparative analysis.
However, civilized does not always translate into helpful (or non-condescending
for that matter) , but then again, its just my general observation.
I have got excellent help from various forums [squishdot, zopezen, zopelabs],
and lots of people take the time to give direction to people who seem lost!

just my 2 yens worth,

-Amr
(Don Zuixote de la Zopa)